Grants and Awards
- [2013-2016] JSPS Research Grant-in-aid. Topic: “Development of a Contextual Dictionary of
the Thirteen Confucian Classics (儒教の十三經漢英辞典).” Award: 3,600,000 yen. This project aims at the
creation of a dictionary of Classical Chinese that thoroughly covers all of the terminology
contained in the 13 Confucian classics, intended primarily for Internet usage. Work in
progress can be accessed at http://www.buddhism-dict.net/dealt/.
- [2010-2013] JSPS Research Grant-in-aid. Topic: “Development and Web Servicing of a
Dictionary of East Asian Classical Chinese Terms (東アジア漢英辞典の開発とウェブサービス作製).” Award: 3,500,000
yen. This project aims at the creation of the basis for a new and more comprehensive
English-language dictionary of Classical Chinese, intended for both Internet usage and paper
publication. Such a dictionary has been needed for a long time, since the most recent
dictionary in this category was published in 1931. Work in progress can be accessed at http://www.buddhism-dict.net/dealt/.
- [2002-2004] JSPS Research Grant-in-aid. Topic: “Digitization and Web Publication of the Dictionary of Chinese Buddhist Terms (by William Soothill) and The Korean Buddhist Canon: A Descriptive Catalogue (by Lewis
Lancaster)" (仏教辞典の電子化とインタネット掲載).” Award: 1,700,000 yen. Both of these reference works were
fully digitized and placed on the web as primary reference works for the field of Buddhist
Studies. Since the copyright on these works has expired and printing had been terminated,
digitization was of vital importance. The first work can be accessed at http://www.acmuller.net/soothill/ and the second at http://www.acmuller.net/descriptive_catalogue/.
- [2001-2002] JSPS Research Grant-in-aid. Topic: “Development of the Digital Dictionary of
Buddhism (東アジア仏教電子辞典の開発).” Award: 2,200,000 yen. As discussed in the above sections, this
project was a great success, and not only at the conclusion of the grant period. Since the
completion of the grant period, more than 50 academic collaborators joined the project (see
http://www.buddhism-dict.net/credits/credits-ddb.html), and this
has become the basic dictionary in the English speaking world for Buddhist Studies. At this
time, more than 24 universities libraries have asked for access rights (see http://www.buddhism-dict.net/ddb/subscribing_libraries.html).
- [1998-2000] JSPS Research Grant-in-aid. Topic: “Compilation of an Index of Terms from East
Asian Historical Sources (東洋史関係語彙索引の編集).” Award: 1,500,000 yen. This project was completed.
The indexes were made available on the Internet, and since then the project has continued to
grow rapidly, as researchers in from other institutions have contributed their own indexes.
Our master index now contains almost 300,000 terms. See http://www.buddhism-dict.net/ddb/allindex-intro.html.
-  Korea Foundation Research Grant. Topic: “Translation of Gihwa's Won'gakgyeong seorui.” Award amount 1,000,000 won. This translation was completed and published as a book in 1998, with the title: The Sūtra of Perfect Enlightenment: Korean Buddhism's Guide to
Meditation (State University of New York Press)